I’m going to try to publish a recipe at least once a week. Some of these may seem familiar to those who have eaten in my kitchen before. Most of these recipes are family favorites with a healthy twist.
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. diced garlic
- 1 bag Birdseye Recipe Ready Mirepoix OR 1/2 cup each, chopped: white onion, celery, & carrots
- 1 red or green bellpepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water or broth (I used homemade chicken broth)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 T. Cajun Seasoning
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and add garlic. Cook until fragrant (about 5 minutes)
- Add Mirepoix and pepper. Cook on medium until onions are clear.
- Add rice and liquid, cook on medium, stirring often, for 30-35 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Add black beans, and cook until beans are heated.
- Add Cajun Seasoning and serve.
This makes 6-8 servings. It’s yummy!
*To make it vegan,use coconut oil in place of butter, and use veggie broth instead of chicken broth.