Lil’ Man loves him some waffles. And pancakes. Pretty much anything hot that he can have slathered in butter.
Recently the awesome folks over at Nicole’s Natural’s offered me a canister of their gluten-free waffle and pancake mix to try out. We’re not a GF family due to allergies or sensitivities, but I love trying new products, especially new breakfast products!
What I really liked about these waffles is that despite being Gluten Free, they cook up super crispy. They contain brown rice, corn meal, and GF oatmeal, all of which gives the waffles an amazing texture. Even when I re-heated some the next morning in the toaster oven, they stayed crispy, as if I just made them!
Each 22 ounce canister makes about 8-10 waffles, depending on your waffle iron size and how thick you like your batter. I got 12 waffles out of the mix, but I added a little extra milk because the batter was a little too thick towards the end of the bowl.
All you add to the mix is water (or milk of your choice), melted butter or coconut oil, and eggs. It’s easy peasy.
Nicole’s Naturals Mix:
- Is Gluten-, Wheat-, Dairy- and Soy-Free (but definitely not taste-free!)
- Contains 150 calories per serving
- Has only one gram of sugar (much less than other mixes that contain upwards of nine grams per serving) and two grams of fiber
- Is independently tested at less than five parts gluten per million, far below the FDA regulation of 20 parts per million for products labeled gluten-free.
12 waffles is a bit much for the three of us, so after we had eaten, I cut up the remaining waffles into quarters, let them cool and put them into a freezer bag. The next morning we enjoyed them again after a quick trip through the toaster oven.
- Keil’s Food Store – Jackson
- Keil’s Food Store – Clairmont
- Krisp Beverages and Natural Foods – Downtown San Diego
- Harvest Ranch Market – Encinitas, CA
I was given a canister of Nicole’s Naturals gluten-free waffle and pancake mix at no charge to facilitate my review, however I was not financially compensated for my review.