Hubs loves Black Bean soup. So based on what we had in the cupboard and fridge, I whipped up a batch. I didn’t have a specific recipe in mind, I just played it by ear and it turned out GREAT!!
Black Bean Soup (makes 6 1-cup servings)
- 2 15 oz. cans of organic black beans (do not drain)
- 2 c. salsa of your choice
- 1 can chicken broth (if you are a vegetarian, use vegetable broth)
- 1 bunch cilantro (top, leafy part only) chopped
- 1/4 c. chopped onion (white or purple, whatever you have)
- 1/4 c. chopped Fresh Jalapeño Peppers (about 2)
- dash of hot sauce (your choice, optional)
- 6 T. plain Greek Yogurt or low fat Sour Cream
- Combine everything in a large stockpot.
- Cook the soup on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Really simmer it gently and allow the flavors to meld.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with 1 T. of plain Greek Yogurt or low fat Sour Cream.
- Serve with quesadillas and Mexican Cesar Salad.
Mexican Cesar Salad
- 6-8 cups of your favorite lettuce/lettuce blend (romaine and bibb is great!)
- 2 tomatoes cubed/sliced
- ½ cup purple onion, cut into rings
- ¼ c ranch dressing
- ½ c your favorite salsa
- Combine the salsa and ranch together, chill in fridge 6-8 hours before servings. This allows the flavors to blend.
- Toss the veggies in a chilled salad bowl with the dressing.
- Top with ¼ c crushed corn chips/tortilla chips for some added crunch!
Serve topped with grilled chicken breasts for an entree or without meat as a side dish. Serves 3 as an entree, serves 6 as a side dish.