We love bananas, but sometimes they get over ripe before we can eat them all. That usually only happens when the weather is so hot and muggy- or if I buy too many. In that case, I peel, slice and bag them in snack sized zip top bags and toss them in the freezer. They are now perfectly portioned for smoothies or baking recipes! This week, I’m posting my favorite Banana bread recipe. It’s quick, easy, and it uses no white sugar, so it’s ideal for those watching their sugar intake.
I’ve included variations for various diets below.
1/2 cup Stevia or brown sugar splenda (or 1/4 c honey)
1/3 cup applesauce
4 egg whites
1/2 cup of ripe banana (about 3-4 ripe bananas)
3/4 cup almond meal or flax meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until fluffy and creamy.
- Add in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into 1 greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- Slice and serve hot or allow to cool, wrap in aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free variation: Substitute coconut flour or GF baking flour blend.
- Nut Free Variation: Use Flax meal in place of Almond Meal.
- Vegan Variation: Substitute egg whites for flax egg.