Our family has used TurboTax since my parents first bought a computer, so… it’s been more than a few years. I’ve been using it since I started my first job in 1997.
It’s super easy, guides you through each step of the way. With TurboTax you’ll get your biggest tax refund guaranteed, with 100% accurate calculations, free help, and step by step guidance so you are confident your taxes are done right. TurboTax is the #1 Rated, Best-Selling tax software brand year after year.
Now if you’ve never done your own taxes before, it can seem super daunting. But the folks at TurboTax make it easy enough that my three year-old niece could probably figure it out!
Yahoo put together a list of some of the forms and misc. “stuff” you need to file your taxes. Here are just a few:
- W-2 statements (these show wages received from your employer(s))
- K-1 Schedules (these should have been received from any partnerships, S Corporations, estates, trusts, and so on, in which you have an ownership interest)
- 1099 Forms (1099-R (Retirement); 1099-INT (Interest); 1099-DIV (Dividends); 1099-B (Brokerage Sales); 1099-MISC (Rents, etc))
- 1098 Forms (1098-T (Education); 1098 – Mortgage Interest)
- Year End Annual Brokerage Statements
- A copy of your previous year’s tax return
You may not have all of these, as not everyone has the same financial/tax situation.
Regardless of how you decide to file: e-file, by hand (on paper), or having a paid professional do it, I implore you- FILE FILE FILE!! You don’t want Uncle Sam knocking on your door, years from now with his hand out!