This is one of the most popular recipes that I’ve ever cooked! It is a family favorite and is very popular for meal trains and freezer meal swaps!
I’m constantly tweaking and improving my recipe, so I wanted to share this recipe with you. I cook this all day in the crockpot and it makes the house smell sooooo good!
- 1-2 lbs of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (rule of thumb for this recipe 1/4 lb of meat per person, plus an extra 1/4 lb of meat for leftovers or seconds)
- 3 cups of your favorite salsa
- 1 bag frozen tri colored peppers and onions
- 1/2c. chicken broth
- 1 cup rice or 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 C shredded cheese
- In a crockpot, place the first four ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- (If you opt to add the last two ingredients) About an hour before serving add rice or quinoa to the crockpot along with the broth and turn crockpot up to medium or high. Meal is done once grain is done to your liking.
- Stir before serving.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top with cheese (optional, but tasty) and serve.
Makes 6-8 servings. Sometimes I turn leftovers into quesadillas, or add more broth and some C&W Southwest veggie blend and it transforms into a hearty soup! It’s so versatile and easy to make!