We love Oatmeal, but most instant oatmeal is full of sugar and isn’t really good for you (no fiber, lots of sugar, mystery ingredients).
Determined to save money and get us to eat better, I set out to concoct a batch of oatmeal mix. After months of trial and error, here is the final result:
Makes 40 1/2 cup servings
- 15 cups old fashioned oats (that’s 1 large canister)
- 3 2/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup flax seeds, milled
- 1 cup Hemp Seeds (I like these)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- Store in a large air tight container for up to 6 months.
Directions for cooking the mix:
1/2 cup mix to 1 cup water, cook on the stove together until the oats are cooked (2-3 minutes). Or mix together and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes and let stand for a few minutes.
Add dried fruit, powdered sweetener, spices/herbs, what have you to make it your own!