Recently I posted a photo on Instagram of some of the body scrub I whipped up. I love making body scrubs, balms, and lotions. Anything I can make at home with all natural ingredients is a plus in my book.
I dislike commercially available scrubs, so often they contain silica or other “micro-beads”. They are often times not biodegradable, and they end up in oceans and streams, harming wildlife.
I got quite a few DM’s asking for the recipe, so I thought I would share it.
All of this stuff I had in my house already, so you may have to go out and grab some ingredients, or just make a few substitutions, depending on what you have on-hand.
I’ve linked to some of the ingredients on Amazon (prices may change, and if you buy something from one of my links, I *might* get a small commission). Then you don’t have to leave home to shop!
This recipe makes A LOT, so, be prepared with a large container with a lid (I used a plastic coffee canister that I sterilized).
Moisturizing & Exfoliating Body Scrub
- 1 cup Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap – Baby Unscented
- 2 cups Coconut oil, room temp (so it’s liquid)
- 1/2 cup Castor Oil
- 2T. Essential Oil, your Choice (I love Lemon, so I used this one from New York Biology)
- 1 cup Sea Salt
- 1 cup Table Salt
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- Mix all of the liquid ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a second bowl, set aside.
- Add wet to dry ingredients slowly, stirring well.
- Store in a container with a lid, scoop out with a clean hand (or spoon) into another cup/container as needed.
If mixture feels too wet, add up to an additional 1/2 cup of salt (your choice: sea or table).
If mixture is too dry, add up to 1/2 cup coconut oil.