Last month I posted a Ravioli soup recipe, but this one is a lot different, as it is mostly a veggie soup, and the cheese ravioli was added as an after thought.
This soup is easy to make, tasty, and you can add in whatever kind of pasta you like: filled pasta like ravioli, or simple pasta. This is a perfect dish for potlucks, and you can use vegan ravioli or gluten free pasta, depending on the dietary concerns of family or guests.
- 2 quarts Veggie Stock
- 2 c. onions, diced
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 c. carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 T. Butter (or grapeseed oil if vegan)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2T. Mural of Flavor
- 1 yellow crookneck squash or zucchini with skin on, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 package filled pasta, or 2 cups pasta (uncooked)
- In a large stockpot, saute onion, carrots, and celery until veggies are soft and onions are clear (about 20 minutes).
- Add garlic, cook 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add Veggie Stock, Tomato paste, herbs, and simmer on medium/low for 30-45 minutes.
- Add squash/zucchini and continue to simmer for 10-20 minutes. Add pasta and cook for the amount of time indicated on the package (usually 6-10 minutes).
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (if vegan).
If you wanted to add extra veggies, here are a few that are tasty in a soup that should be added at the same time as the squash/zucchini:
- Fresh Green Beans, ends removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- Canned chopped salt-free tomatoes, drained
- Bell peppers, de-seeded, chopped
- Cabbage, roughly chopped
- small potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces