New shoes, here we come (again not kidding, we all need new running shoes).
If you haven’t started your taxes yet, consider E-File.
- E-file.com offers free federal tax returns for those who qualify for a 1040ez.
- Free Error Correction – Their software will automatically check your tax return for common errors. If our software finds any errors, it will prompt you to correct them.
- Get Your Refund Quick – Who doesn’t want their refund quickly? Filing online allows you to receive your refund quicker than off-line.
- Helpful Software – Their software will walk you through common deductions and credits that you may be eligible for with its easy and quick question & answer format.
If you aren’t sure what you need to file your taxes, here are just a few of pieces of paperwork you may need (depending on your tax situation):
- W-2’s- one from each of your jobs
- 1099’s: if you are an independent contractor
- DMV paperwork (if you don’t have this, then the VIN and license plate # from your car, and go here– CA only, I’m sure other states may have something similar).
- Receipts for any tax-deductible donations
- Receipts for any medical expenses (co-pays, prescriptions)
- Paperwork from your Mortgage Company regarding your interest paid
- Paperwork regarding your property taxes paid
- Dependents Social Security Numbers
- IRA Year End Statements
- Interest Statements from banks
I start a folder (like this one) each year and I put all of the paperwork in it as it comes into the house. Then, after we do our taxes, I print a copy out, pull out all of our supporting documents, put them into a manilla envelope, write the year on the front, seal it, and stash it with our other past years’ taxes. We keep 10 years worth of tax records, just in case.
Talk Back: Have you done your taxes yet?