I made this last month while it was cold and rainy. I keep forgetting to post this recipe. It’s so tasty. And easy. The leftovers (if there are any) freezes well.
It’s vegan and gluten-free as is, but you can make changes and use bone broth if you want, or even add meat of your choices I think kielbasa pieces would be really great in this soup!
I used Right Rice in this recipe in place of regular white rice. What I like about Right Rice is that it’s made from Lentil Flour, Chickpea Flour, and Rice Flour. Those ingredients mean that this “rice” is high on protein! The “rice” thickens up the soup for sure.
Hearty Veggie Soup
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (I used green)
- 2 T. cooking oil (your choice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green or yellow zucchini (whatever is in season or you have on hand)
- 2 quarts veggie stock
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (you can also use a large can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 14oz.-ish can of tomato sauce
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 cups Right Rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T. Penzeys Forward Spice Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottom stockpot, heat oil.
- Saute carrots, celery, bell pepper, and onions until onions are soft and clear, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and spices. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes, or until right rice is done and soup has thickened up.
- Soup can simmer on low as long as you like. I let it simmer on low for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with bread and butter and salad.
Forward Seasoning blend contains extra bold black pepper, onion, paprika, garlic, turmeric, spice extractives (including oleoresin of celery, rosemary, black pepper, thyme, basil and paprika).