It’s not a surprise. And I can’t believe I’ve never posted this recipe before. My grandma invented it one summer, driving across the country in a Winnebago full of kids, my grandfather cruising the highways and byways of America.
It’s similar to Frito Pie, but it’s a little beefier. Ya know, when you have seven growing kids, you gotta add a bit more.
My friend Kara asked for the recipe yesterday, and I thought I’d share it.
- 1 pound ground beef (you could use ground turkey, but honestly this recipe is not anywhere near healthy)
- One can of Hormel chili with beans (It has to have beans)
- One bag Fritos
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- one canned sliced black olives, rinsed and drained
- Two tomatoes diced
- One avocado, pitted and sliced
- sour cream
I like cooking Fritos Surprise in an electric skillet, but you can cook it on the stovetop in a regular skillet.
- Crumble and fry the ground meat (drain as needed).
- Add the chili and cook until heated through.
- Top with Fritos and cheese.
- Cook on low until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add tomatoes, olives, and avocados.
- Dish out portions and top with sour cream and salsa as desired.
It serves about 6-9, depending on how much you eat. And it’s really good. In true grandma fashion, serve it with fruit salad and bread and butter.