I don’t really like Cracker Barrel, and there isn’t one close to us, but these potatoes are delish. In some places, these are called Funeral Potatoes. While doing my weekly meal prep this morning, I realized I had all the ingredients and decided to make a pan. It’s a great side dish for any holiday event. I improved it a bit as well.
I’ve included substitutions to make it vegan below.
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 large bag frozen hashbrowns, defrosted
- 1 can condensed cream of soup (I used cream of mushroom because I have a vegetarian in the house, other people use cream of chicken)
- 8oz sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but Colby jack is good too), divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1T. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 350 degrees, Spray a 9×11 baking dish with spray release.
- In a small pan, saute onions in butter until translucent- about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, hashbrowns, and sauteed onions.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish, top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes.
- Serves 6 as a main dish or up to 10 as a side dish.
This casserole is great reheated and is good for up to 3 days in the fridge, but it won’t last that long.
Vegan substitutions: In lieu of dairy sour cream and cheddar cheese, use your favorite vegan brand. In place of soup, use your favorite white sauce and 1/4 cup diced mushrooms. Saute onion in your favorite spread or oil. If you need a good white sauce recipe, there are directions in this recipe.