This recipe is easy to make, and amazing. It uses Red Pesto, which has a tomato base. It’s warm, filling, and comforting.
The first thing you need to do is roast some veggies. Check my recipe here. I roast 5-ish lbs of veggies each week, so we usually have some in the fridge.
Baked Red Pesto and Roasted Veggie Pasta
- 3 cups roasted veggies (I recommend carrots, onions, zucchini, green beans, halved or quartered tomaotes. Any combination)
- 1 jar Filippo Berio Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, 6.7 Ounce Glass Jar
- 1 lb package of pasta (your choice, I like elbow or bowtie)
- 1/2 cup pasta water (reserved)
- 2 cups Italian cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil salted water and cook pasta per package directions. As you drain, reserve some of the pasta water (about 1/2 cup).
- In a large baking dish (11×13) mix roasted veggies, pasta, red pesto, and add pasta water a little bit at a time, until all the pasta is coated. You may not need all 1/2 cup.
- Mix in 1/2 of the cheese.
- Smooth the mixture down into the baking dish, and bake for 20 minutes covered.
- After 20 minutes, top with the remaining cheese and continue to bake uncovered for 10-ish minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.
Serves 6-8. This re-heats well, if there are any leftovers.
- This dish is vegetarian, but not vegan. This is a vegan red pesto, but I’ve not tried it. To make it vegan, use a vegan red pesto and vegan Italian Cheese blend.
- Pesto is not a nut-free product! If you have a nut allergy, be careful!
- Feel free to use your favorite pasta (high protein, gluten-free, made from soy, etc). I do not recommend shirataki noodles- They have a weird texture and smell (seriously).