Easy, Quick, Hearty. Onto the recipe!
- 1 lb chicken (I used boneless, skinless breasts, but any kind of boneless, skinless cut of chicken will do- thighs are a good option), cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 2T. avocado oil
- 28 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ish ounce can on salt-free canned corn (drained and rinsed), or 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 quart (4 cups) Chicken broth or stock
- 2T. Arizona Dreaming Spice Blend
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- avocado slices and shredded cheese
- In a stockpot, heat oil.
- Add onions and celery, cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Turn heat down to low, pour in tomatoes, corn, chicken broth/stock, Arizona Dreaming. Cover and cook on low for 30-45 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with slices of Avocado and shredded cheese.
This soup freezes well and is very inexpensive. You can use any type of chicken. I’ve made this stew with both chicken breast, and with thighs. Both work well, but the thighs are better, as they are fattier, and give the stew a richer mouthfeel that offsets the spice of the Ancho pepper in the Arizona Dreaming Spice Blend.
You can add other veggies if you like a stew with more veg. Zucchini, Italian squash, carrots are all solid choices.
The spice blend is not spicy, but it has a little heat. If you like your food on the mild side, start with 1T. and taste the soup after it has a chance to cook for about 10 minutes. Add more as needed.