This is an easy recipe, and it is divine! You may already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen too!
It’s pretty flexible when it comes to the meat- You want a good roast with some marbling. Chuck Roast, Tri-tip, Round Roast, Rump Roast are all good options. This recipe cooks low and slow all day. Break out your slow cooker my friends!
Let’s dive into this beefy, delicious recipe!
- 2 1/2- 3 lb. Beef Roast with good marbling
- 2T canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bag Fajita blend veggies (that’s sliced onions and bell peppers)
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (about 8 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup medium salsa
- In a heavy-bottomed cast-iron skillet or dutch oven, heat canola oil, add beef, and sear each side for 5-8 minutes. You want a nice brown crust on each side. If the piece is large, cut it in pieces to fit into your slow cooker.
- As the meat is searing, in your slow cooker pour frozen vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, mix tomato sauce, salsa, and spices.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker, and pour water into the pan that browned meat. Stir and scrape off any browned/burned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour that water into the sauce bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour sauce over meat and cook on low in the slow cooker for 10+hours.
- Pull meat out, and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker, and keep simmering on low until the sides are ready to eat.
I serve this meat with beans, rice, tortillas, Corn and Avocado Salsa, and a green salad. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days, and you can freeze it as well. It’s also excellent in the morning with eggs in a breakfast burrito.