I learned today that March is Craft Month, which is awesome because I am always down for a good craft!
If you are looking for craft supplies on a budget, here are my top five tips:
- Thrift Stores are a great place to start scouring for craft supplies. Frequently thrift stores bundle up craft supplies.
- Sign up for rewards programs at your local craft stores and/or download their apps. Both Michaels and Joann Fabric & Crafts have apps with coupons to save you more!
- Dollar Tree has great craft supplies. Our favorites are their wooden boxes, craft kits, pom-poms, chenille stems, and hot glue sticks!
- Craft supply swaps are a great way to trade supplies. I host once a year or so, right before school lets out. Everyone brings their excess/unwanted craft supplies and it’s a free for all swap. Leftovers are donated to a local school or scout troop.
- If you have liquid/wet supplies (like ink pads, glue, paint, etc), make sure to check them before plotting out a project. Nothing is worse than sitting down to do a project to discover that your glue/paint/whatever is all dried out. BUMMER!
If you’ve got kiddos, check out the free week of crafts at Michaels, starting today.
AllFreeKidsCrafts Spring Crafts eBook is now available for download here. I found 3 new crafts for the kids to do today- they are going stir crazy because it’s raining here.
I know some of my readers love their wine, and if you are one of them, FaveCrafts has something just for you! Their latest free eBook, 25 Cool Things to Do with Old Wine Bottles is available here.
If you are looking for something different, perhaps learning a new skill or skills, check out Blueprint!
Blueprint has all kinds of online classes, videos, and articles that you can access with an unlimited membership, or you can take a singular class online. They also have a great selection of free articles and patterns here. Whether you want to learn about sewing, cooking, quilting, embroidery, art- Blueprint has classes for everyone!
In celebration of National Craft Month! Get ANY Blueprint class for just $10 with coupon code “CREATE10”!
Michael’s is hosting 6 days of Free Kids Crafts 3/8/2020-3/13/2020!
- Sunday 3/8/2020: Craft Stick Bee 2-4pm
- Monday 3/9/2020: Pom Pom Caterpillar 4-6pm
- Tuesday 3/10/2020: Stained Glass Kite 4-6pm
- Wednesday 3/11/2020: Beaded Butterfly 4-6pm
- Thursday 3/12/2020: Friendship Bracelets 4-6pm
- Friday 3/13/2020: Clothespin Birds 4-6pm
Parents/guardians must remain on-site. Each craft is free, including supplies!
If this doesn’t work for your schedule, check out Kids Club! Each Saturday 10am-noon, your kiddos (ages 3+) can choose from 2 30-minute projects. Most projects are free or have a low cost.
Looking for something fun to do this coming weekend? Check out your local Michaels Craft Store!
- Date: Saturday, February 8, 2020
- Time: 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Come make a Lots Of Love Vinyl Decal Shirt: Come punch designs out of vinyl to create a Valentine’s Day T-shirt. Buy the shirt, and the supplies to decorate it will be provided!
Other crafts going on include on 2/8/2020:
- Valentine’s Day Cards: Create cute “love bug” or pretty watercolor cards to give loved ones! FREE, all supplies included.
- Sweetheart Cookies: Learn easy ways to decorate Valentine’s Day Treats. FREE, all supplies included.
- Fabulous Friendship Bracelets: Make these beaded bracelets to give to your BFF for Valentine’s Day! FREE, all supplies included.
Michael’s has all sorts of fun free and low-cost classes coming up for kids and adults. Find out about classes near you here.
Party will be November 9th, 2019
If you’re an artist that loves crafting and scrapbooking, the Canon PIXMA TS9521C printer is the printer you need. Experience the Canon PIXMA TS9521C printer with your friends and show them how it is the perfect tool to take all your creative ideas to the next level.
This event is only open to residents of the US.
If you’re selected and confirmed as a host, your exclusive Party Pack will contain:
- Canon PIXMA TS9521C wireless all-in-one printer
- Photo Paper Plus Glossy II 4×6 (100 sheets/pack)
- And more
To apply, click here.
I’ve shared the awesomeness of TopCashBack before, and if you haven’t taken advantage of their awesome deals before, now is a great time!
Visit Walmart through TopCashback, purchase a Crayola 152 Count Ultimate Crayon Collection for $10.99 and then shop as normal. Within fourteen days $10.99 cashback will post in your TopCashback account.
How to get this freebie:
1. Visit the offer here
2. Create your account with an email and password
3. Click on the “Get Offer” button and it’ll take you to Walmart.
4. Add “Crayola 152 Count Ultimate Crayon Collection” to your cart and shop as you would normally then checkout.
5. This is a Free In-Store Pick Up offer.
6. Once you checkout, in about 14 days $10.99 will post in your TopCashback account.
Congrats on your freebie!
* New TopCashback members with no previous purchases or cashback through TopCashback only. Ends September 30th at 23:59 PST!
Free In-Store Pick Up Offer!
How do you get it?
Who qualifies for it?
This offer is available to TopCashback members with no previous purchases or cashback through TopCashback only. However as TopCashback doesn’t limit accounts to one per household, if you’re an existing member now’s the perfect time to tell your husband or wife, mom or dad, roommate, neighbor or anyone else about TopCashback and perhaps they’ll share their freebie with you.
When do you get your money back?
Within 14 days the $10.99 will turn payable in your TopCashback account and you can choose your payout method at that time.
Is there anything else important to know?
Transactions must contain at least one Crayola 152 Count Ultimate Crayon Collection from Walmart priced at $10.99 to ensure $10.99 cashback is credited to TopCashback accounts. If a different item is purchased under $10.99, the cashback amount awarded will be 1% or less (depending on the item(s) purchased) instead of $10.99.
The deal is:
– open until 23:59 PST on Monday, September 30th
– subject to Walmart’s Stock supplies and availability
– applicable for online sales only, for purchases made directly after clicking through TopCashback.com
– TopCashback account is permitted per member
Just in time for summer crafts! Now through 6/22/19, you can find and use a $5 off $5+ (restrictions apply of course) on the Michaels website here.
This coupon is valid in-store only. If you need to shop online, there is a 40% off any one regular price item here. It also has restrictions.
I’m taking the kids this morning to find supplies for a project to work on this week! And don’t forget that Camp Creativity is in full swing! $3 craft classes where kids can make and take a project! Details can be found here.
I told the kids this morning that we’ll be going to Brick or Treat at Legoland this year, and they were so excited.
LEGOLAND® California Resort transforms into a monster mash bash for the ultimate family fun during its Brick-or-Treat Party Nights Halloween celebration, presented by Disguise Costumes, every Saturday night (Sept. 29, Oct. 6, 13, 20, & 27) at 5 p.m. with more Park after dark! LEGOLAND® California‘s Halloween festivities is filled with sweeter treats, exciting entertainment and not-so-spooky thrills.
Along with 16 Treat Stations sure to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth, guests can collect specialty items such as LEGO® commemorative brick, LEGO® Life Magazine containing a special gift and enjoy a bonus treat station inside SEA LIFE® aquarium. In addition to the treat stations, the kids can’t wait to check out:
- Frankenbrick’s Lab, kids can partake in an interactive show with a chance to act as scientists on stage and create their own slime
- Model Shop roof will be the home to AstroBash, a space-themed dance party that’s out of this world
- A new pop-badge challenge in Fun Town
- A fall festival complete with a LEGO®pumpkin patch building activity, BOOgrass Band (this is my favorite part of the night- Seriously! Everything is awesome done by a bluegrass band… it’s rad!)
- And Bitty’s Favorite- A special LEGO® Friends meet and greet in Heartlake City, where kids can decorate their own craft
Brick-or-Treat Party Nights is a special event and admission can be purchased for as low as $54 if purchased online in advance. Additionally, guests can purchase a full 2nd day Resort Hopper ticket to enjoy LEGOLAND California, SEA LIFE aquarium and LEGOLAND® Water Park. Special event ticket holders can enjoy costume contests, trick-or-treating at candy stations filled with tasty goodies and other surprises, festive music and live entertainment.
LEGOLAND California and SEA LIFE Aquarium are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on select dates throughout October. With special event admission to Brick-or-Treat Party Nights on September 29, October 6, 13, 20 and 27, guests can extend their day until 9 p.m. at both LEGOLAND California and SEA LIFE Aquarium to enjoy all the Halloween festivities plus add on a 2nd day Resort Hopper to extend the fun all weekend long. For exclusive savings and more information, visit www.BRICKORTREAT.com or call 760-918-5346.
This is a variation of a craft I did as a kid, and I have done with my kids! It’s very simple, as kids as young as about 2 1/2 can do it with help. This is the project that Margaret and I worked on as part of our most recent Craft Morning.
You (and your kids) can make this craft as simple or complex as you would like. Since Margaret was helping me, we decided to go simple. We used an Ikea picture frame, but you can use anything clear and glass (or even plastic). It’s really fun to do this craft with a clean baby food jar with the label removed. You can put a battery operated tea light into it to make it a “stained glass” candle holder.
To do this craft, you’ll need:
(All of the Amazon links above are affiliate links- I *might* earn a commission if you make a purchase from one of these links).
- Clean the glass or plastic and dry it.
- If you’ve got a wooden frame, paint it with acrylic paint and set aside to dry. I also used Posca Paint Markers to paint the frames. Discard the piece of cardboard/backing.
- On the exterior of the pane of glass or whatever you are using, draw or place the “panes” using Glitter glue, black tape, paint markers, or washi tape. Once completed and the medium is dry, it’s time to do the stained “glass”.
- Carefully coat the side opposite the one that is “paned” of your glass or plastic with Modge-Podge. Use a foam brush.
- Apply the tissue paper pieces to the Modge-Podge coated surface. Make sure to cover the entire surface with Modge-Podge and tissue paper. To have a darker color, apply multiple layers of the same color of tissue paper.
- Once complete, set the item down to dry, wet side up.
- After the item is dry, trim off any excess tissue paper that is sticking up.
- Spray the side that has been Modge-podged with Clear Spray Paint/Sealer.
- After it has dried, put the glass into the picture frame and secure the glass in with the metallic tabs- if that is not an option, you may hot glue the glass into the frame.
- Secure a ribbon to the back of the frame (you can hot glue a ribbon) and hang in a sunny place.
Here are a few that Margaret and I made for her room:
We may be making these for Mother’s day for some family members. I’d love to see what kinds of crafts you and your kids do!
Our next Craft Morning will be February 19th. We’ll be painting and hiding Friendship Rocks. If you are in the San Diego Area, you are welcome to join us!
For the past few months, Bitty and I have been hosting Craft Morning at our house. We set up a table (or two) get out craft supplies, invite mommies and their littles over, and we create.
Sometimes I have a specific craft in mind (ornaments in December), but sometimes we just look at what is available, and creativity takes over!
Tomorrow, we’re doing it again! I’ve got supplies for tissue paper stained glass and scrapbook paper wreaths, but my craft supply stash is pretty deep, so there will be other supplies out for whatever the mommies and kids want to make.
I’ve started a Pinterest Board with ideas here. If you are a San Diego area parent and you’d like to join us, check out the event page here.
February’s Craft Morning will be held at a park, and we’ll be painting and hiding rocks! All of our Craft Mornings are free to attend. I get craft supplies for free from local swaps, Buy Nothing groups, Craigslist, as well as family and friends who are cleaning out their supplies.
I hope to see lots of smiling faces at our upcoming craft events!!
As previously promised, I’ll be holding playdates every few weeks. This is a great chance for moms to meet other moms and let the kids play.
We met at the park last month and it was tons of fun, this month we’re going to be delving onto my craft stash to make some fun holiday crafts. We also have a craft kit from Creative Hands Crafts to explore.
Check out the event and learn more (including the awesome giveaway I’ve got for the first 5 moms to RSVP and attend the event, go to the event page here.