This is my great-grandmother’s recipe. I’m not sure why it’s called Alaska meatloaf. My mom made it a lot when we were kids. It’s quick, easy, and everyone likes it!
- 1 lb ground beef (you can use ground turkey is you prefer)
- 1 egg
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cups cooked rice (I like basmati)
- 1 jar chili sauce (the stuff that’s like cocktail sauce)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ground meat, egg, tomato sauce, seasoning and bread crumbs.
- Pat into a greased 9″ pie plate, making a meat pie “crust”.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix cooked rice, chili sauce, and half the cheese.
- Heap onto the meatloaf crust and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Continue to bake until the meatloaf is done and the cheese is melted about 15-20 minutes.
Serve with a green salad or steamed veggies.
One Dish Option: You can add 1-2 cups of chopped veggies to the rice mixture. We like carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc.