This article contains location specific giveaways- for nationwide info, scroll to the bottom of the article.
For the past few years the great folks over at SMOAC have been doing an incredible service to the Eastern San Diego County school kids by offering free backpacks and school supplies.
And this year is no different! This year, they are hosting a drive-thru style event at two locations:
- Rio Seco School 9545 Cuyamaca Street or Pride Academy 9303 Prospect Ave (Both in Santee)
- August 16, 2020
- 10AM until supplies run out
- Kids must be present in the car
- 1 backpack per child
- This will be a contactless delivery event- Please Print the form here and complete it per the directions.
And for those of you not in the immediate area, there are all sorts of other free school supply and backpack giveaways going on.
Boost Mobile is giving away backpacks and school supplies. More info is here. In San Diego County, there is 1 Boost Mobile in Oceanside that is participating.
Operation Homefront is having giveaways for military families on bases all over the US. Here is a list for 2020.
Rentacalc does free giveaways for backpacks, graphing calculators and protractors! You can learn more and enter to win here.
This is a variation of a craft I did as a kid, and I have done with my kids! It’s very simple, as kids as young as about 2 1/2 can do it with help. This is the project that Margaret and I worked on as part of our most recent Craft Morning.
You (and your kids) can make this craft as simple or complex as you would like. Since Margaret was helping me, we decided to go simple. We used an Ikea picture frame, but you can use anything clear and glass (or even plastic). It’s really fun to do this craft with a clean baby food jar with the label removed. You can put a battery operated tea light into it to make it a “stained glass” candle holder.
To do this craft, you’ll need:
(All of the Amazon links above are affiliate links- I *might* earn a commission if you make a purchase from one of these links).
- Clean the glass or plastic and dry it.
- If you’ve got a wooden frame, paint it with acrylic paint and set aside to dry. I also used Posca Paint Markers to paint the frames. Discard the piece of cardboard/backing.
- On the exterior of the pane of glass or whatever you are using, draw or place the “panes” using Glitter glue, black tape, paint markers, or washi tape. Once completed and the medium is dry, it’s time to do the stained “glass”.
- Carefully coat the side opposite the one that is “paned” of your glass or plastic with Modge-Podge. Use a foam brush.
- Apply the tissue paper pieces to the Modge-Podge coated surface. Make sure to cover the entire surface with Modge-Podge and tissue paper. To have a darker color, apply multiple layers of the same color of tissue paper.
- Once complete, set the item down to dry, wet side up.
- After the item is dry, trim off any excess tissue paper that is sticking up.
- Spray the side that has been Modge-podged with Clear Spray Paint/Sealer.
- After it has dried, put the glass into the picture frame and secure the glass in with the metallic tabs- if that is not an option, you may hot glue the glass into the frame.
- Secure a ribbon to the back of the frame (you can hot glue a ribbon) and hang in a sunny place.
Here are a few that Margaret and I made for her room:
We may be making these for Mother’s day for some family members. I’d love to see what kinds of crafts you and your kids do!
Our next Craft Morning will be February 19th. We’ll be painting and hiding Friendship Rocks. If you are in the San Diego Area, you are welcome to join us!
I love this time of year! There are all kinds of fun crafts. We go through bags like crazy, so I am stoked to be receiving the Colortime Crafts and Markers Glow in the Dark Halloween Totes!
If you know me, you know I’m not a huge fan of goodies bags at parties- I much prefer that the guest do a fun craft or an activity. Colortime has great goodies for birthday parties and sleepovers! Fun kits like coloring pillowcases, t-shirts, backpacks, permanent fabric markers, and more.
For savings, join their Birthday Club and receive 20% off and a free backpack, with your order!
I’ll be receiving some goodies from Colortime, including a Glow in the Dark tote. I’ll post a review with photos once we are able to get our craft on!
Click here for the Latest Online Special offers and promo codes to Colortime Crafts and Markers